Bipolar Disorder Research
Proton MSRI Studies of Bipolar Disorder
The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether there was abnormal brain metabolism associated with Bipolar Disorder and whether hypothesized chemical alterations normalized during treatment with either Li CO3 or valporic acid – both of which have been shown to be effective in treating the disorder. In order to implement the proposed research, advances in receiver coil technology and magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) pulse sequences using PEPSI have been combine to study brain chemistry over time. Information obtained from this research will advance our understanding of neural substrates involved in Bipolar Disorder and the effects of two standard treatment approaches on modulating brain chemistry in relationship to clinical course.
- Lyoo, IK, Dager SR, Kim JE, Yoon SJ, Friedman SD, Dunner DL, Renshaw PF. Lithium-induced gray matter volume increase as a neural correlate of treatment response in bipolar disorder: a longitudinal brain imaging study. Neuropsychopharmacology. 35(8):1743-50, 2010. Epub 2010 Mar 31. PMID: 20357761
- Dager SR, Oskin NM, Richards TL, Posse. Research Applications of Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS) to Investigate Pyschiatric Disorders. Topics in MRI. 19(2):81-96, 2008.
- Kim MJ, Lyoo IK, Dager SR, Friedman S, Chey J, Hwang J, Lee YJ,. Dunner DL, Renshaw PF: The Occurrence of Cavum Septi Pellucidi Enlargement is Increased in Bipolar Disorder Patients. Bipolar Disorders. 9(3):274-80, 2007. PMID: 17430302
- Hwang J, Lyoo IK, Dager SR, Friedman SD, Oh JS, Lee JY, Kim SJ, Dunner DL, Renshaw PF. Basal Ganglia Shape Alterations in Bipolar Disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 163:276-285, 2006. PMID: 16449482
- Lyoo IK, Sung YH, Dager SR, Friedman SD, Lee JY, Kim SJ, Kim N, Dunner DL, Renshaw PF: Regional cerebral cortical thinning in bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disorder. 8(1):65-74, 2006. PMID: 16411982
- Friedman SF, Dager SR, Parow A, Hirashima F, Demopulos C, Stoll AL, Lyoo IK, Dunner DL, Renshaw PF: Lithium and Valproic Acid Treatment Effects on Brain Chemistry in Bipolar Disorder. Bio Psychiatry. 56(5):340-348, 2004. PMID: 15336516
- Lyoo IK, Kim JM, Stoll AL, Demopulos C, Parow A, Dager SR, Friedman SD, Dunner DL, Renshaw P: Frontal Lobe Gray Matter Density Decreases in Bipolar Disorders. Biol Psychiatry. 55:648-651, 2004. PMID: 15013835
- Dager SR, Friedman SD, Parow A, Demopulos C, Stoll AL, Lyoo IK, Dunner DL, Renshaw PF: Brain Chemical Alterations in Mediation-Free Bipolar Patients. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 61:450-458, 2004. PMID: 15123489
- Rohan M, Parow A, Stoll AL, Demopulos C, Friedman S, Dager SR, Hennen J, Cohen BM, Renshaw PF: Low Field Magnetic Stimulation in Bipolar Depression Using a MRI Based Stimulator. Am J of Psychiatry 161:93–98, 2004. (Highlighted in Science-Random Samples) PMID: 14702256
- Lyoo IK, Kim JM, Stoll AL, Demopulos C, Parow A, Dager SR, Friedman SD, Dunner DL, Renshaw P: Frontal Lobe Gray Matter Density Decreases in Bipolar Disorders. Biol Psychiatry 55:648-651, 2004. PMID: 15013835
- Moore CM, Breeze JL, Kukes TH, Rose SL, Dager SR, Cohen BM, Renshaw PR: Effects of Myo-Inositol Ingestion on Human Brain Myo-inositol Levels: A Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopic Imaging Study. Biol Psychiatry 45:1197-1202, 1999.