- Undergraduate: University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Medical School: Keck USC School of Medicine
- Residency: University of Washington, Radiology
- Fellowship: Seattle Children's, Pediatric Radiology
After completing his fellowship in Pediatric Radiology at Seattle Children’s Hospital, Dr. Thapa accepted the position of Acting Assistant Professor at the same institution. In addition to his clinical duties, Dr. Thapa helped organize the monthly resident and fellow teaching conferences at Children’s Hospital. Dr. Thapa began collaborating with the Pediatric Rheumatologists and established a monthly interdepartmental conference to discuss interesting rheumatologic conditions with radiologic and clinical correlation. This was also the inaugural year of the medical student anatomy course with imaging correlation (HuBio 511), which Dr. Thapa helped establish and has actively participated in ever since. In July of 2007 Dr. Thapa became an Assistant Professor and continued his work in medical student/resident/fellow education. Dr. Thapa began collaborating with other departments and obtained additional training in musculoskeletal imaging at Roosevelt Medical Center. In addition to the human anatomy course, Dr. Thapa began educating 4th year medical students by participating in the University of Washington’s Capstone Course (Transition into Residency) and Rheumatology workshops. This was also the first year Dr. Thapa was invited to lecture about pediatric musculoskeletal and informatics topics at several national radiology education meetings, including the American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS). In the spring of 2009, Dr. Thapa became the Fellowship Program Director of Pediatric Radiology at Seattle Children’s. This has been one of the most rewarding aspects of his career. The new position has given Dr. Thapa more opportunities to work with, mentor and educate fellows and residents. Dr. Thapa's main areas of expertise include Medical Education, Informatics, and Pediatric Musculoskeletal Imaging.
Manuscripts in Refereed Journals (Σ = Primary Mentor)
1) Spangelo B, Farrimond D, Thapa M, et al.; Thymosin Fraction 5 Inhibits the Proliferation of the Rat Neuroendocrine MMQ Pituitary Adenoma and C6 Glioma Cell Lines in Vitro. Endocrinology; 1998; Vol: 139, Pp: 2155-2162.
2) Abel TJ, Chowdhary A, Thapa M, Jutledge JC, Geyer JR, Ojemann J, Avellino AM. Spinal Cord Pilocytic Astrocytoma with Leptomeningeal Dissemination to the Brain. Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Neurosurgery. 2006 Dec; 105(6): 508-14.
3) Pruthi S, Parnell S, (Σ) Thapa M. Pseudointercondylar notch sign: manifestation of osteochondritis dissecans of the trochlea. Pediatric Radiology. 2009 Feb; 39(2): 180-183.
4) Abel TJ, Chowdhary A, Thapa M, Jutledge JC, Geyer JR, Ojemann J, Avellino AM. Extracranial glioneuronal heterotopias in the middle cranial fossa region: Report of four cases. J Neurosurgery. 2009 Mar; Vol 3: 188-196.
5) Weinberger E, Phillips G, Thapa M, Parisi M, Raske M, Chapman T. COD104 – Pediatric Cases of the Day 2008. RSNA website: https://www2.rsna.org/timssnet/products/tnt_products.cfm?prod=COD10. Published March 20, 2009. Last accessed: December 20, 2010.
6) Khanna PC, (Σ) Thapa M, de Regt D, Weinberger E. PACStacker: An Enhancement of the Scientific and Educational Capabilities of PowerPoint. Am. J. Roentgenol. May 31, 2009; 192: W71-W74.
7) Thapa M, Pruthi S, Ishak G. Epidermoid Cyst: An Uncommon Pediatric Testicular Tumor. Radiology Case Reports; May 31, 2009; Vol 4:2
8) Thapa M, Pruthi S, Ishak G, Otto R. Jejunal Hamartomatous Polyps Causing Small Bowel Intussusception. Radiology Case Reports. May 31, 2009; Vol 4:2
9) Khanna PC, (Σ) Thapa M. The Growing Skeleton: MR appearance of developing cartilage. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Clinics of North America. Pediatric MSK Imaging. August 2009. 17(3). 411-421.
10) Pruthi S, (Σ) Thapa M. Inflammatory and Infectious Disorders. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Clinics of North America. Pediatric MSK Imaging. August 2009. 17(3). 423-438.
11) Thapa M, Richardson M. Dissemination of Radiological Information Using Enhanced Podcasts. Academic Radiology. March 2010. Vol 17, Issue 3, Pages 387-391.
12) Thapa M, Taylor G, Utilizing Smart Objects, Smart Filters, and Layers for Nondestructive Radiology Image. MedEdPORTAL; 2010. Available: http://services.aamc.org/30/mededportal/servlet/s/segment/mededportal/?subid=7995
13) Thapa M, Pruthi S, Chew F. Radiolgraphic Assessment of Pediatric Foot Alignment: Case-Based Review. Am. J. Roentgenol. 2010; 194: 10.2214/AJR.10.7143. S51-58.
14) Thapa M, Pruthi S, Chew F. Radiolgraphic Assessment of Pediatric Foot Alignment: Self-Assessment Module. Am. J. Roentgenol. 2010; 194: 10.2214/AJR.07.7234. S59-63.
15) Tozer K, Thapa M, Ishak G, Pruthi S. Neuroimaging of Pediatric Central Nervous System Cytomegalovirus Infection. Radiographics. 2010; 30(7); 1779-1796. 10.1148/rg.307105043. 1779-96.
16) Thapa M, Khanna P. Vigabatrin Associated Diffusion MRI Abnormalities in Tuberous Sclerosis. Pediatric Radiology. 2010. Vol 40 (1). Pg 153.
17) Thapa M, Vaidya S, Dighe M, Richardson M. Creating Radiology Line Art with Photoshop Tools and Filters. MedEdPORTAL; 2011. Available from: http://services.aamc.org/mededportal/servlet/s/segment/mededportal/?subid=8296
18) Khanna P, (Σ) Thapa M. Iyer R, Prasad S. Pictorial essay: The many faces of craniosynostosis. Indian J Radiol Imaging. 2011 Jan;21(1):49-56.
19) Goldin AB, Khanna P, Thapa M, McBroom JA, Garrison MM, Parisi MT. Revised ultrasound criteria for appendicitis in children improve diagnostic accuracy. Pediatr Radiol. 2011 Mar 16. [Epub ahead of print]
20) Badve C, Khanna P, Phillips G, Thapa M, Ishak G. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Closed Spinal Dysraphisms: A Pictorial Review. Pediatr Radiol. 2011 Oct; 41(10): 1308-20
21) Ringold S, Thapa M, Shaw E, Wallace CA. Heterotopic Ossification of the Temporomandibular Joint in Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. The Journal of Rheumatology. 2011 Jul; 38(7): 1423-8.
22) Iyer R, (Σ) Thapa M, Chew F. Chronic Recurrent Multifocal Osteomyelitis: Review. Am. J. Roentgenol. 196: 10.2214/AJR.09.7212
23) Iyer R, (Σ) Thapa M, Chew F. Imaging of Chronic Recurrent Multifocal Osteomyelitis: Self-Assessment Module. Am. J. Roentgenol. 196: 10.2214/AJR.10.730
24) Rudolf JW, (Σ) Thapa M. Thoracic Neuroblastoma. Radiology Case Reports. June 15, 2011; 6:440. DOI: 10.2484/rcr.v6i2.440
25) Thapa M, Gilbreath P, Stephenson J, Rudzinski E, Avansino J. Thoracoscopic Resection of a Bronchogenic Cyst. MedEdPORTAL. 2011. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/8298.
26) Thapa M, Gilbreath P, Stephenson J, Avansiono J. Thoracoscopic Repair of a Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia. MedEdPORTAL; 2011. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/8297.
27) Vaidya S, Thapa M, Digne M, Richardson M. Creating Line Art from Images Using Adobe Illustrator – the Quick and Not Dirty. Med EdPORTAL; 2011 Available from: www.mededportal.org/publications/8448.
28) Thapa M, Iyer R, Khanna P, Chew F. Review: MRI of Pediatric Patients: Part 1, Normal and Abnormal Cartilage. AJR May 2012 198:W450-W455; doi: 10.2214/AJR.10.7280
29) Thapa M, Chaturvedi A, Darling SE, Khanna PC, Ishak G, Chew FS. MRI of Pediatric Patients; Part I and II (SAM). AJR Date of Issuance 04/23/2012.
30) Thapa M, Chaturvedi A, Khanna P, Ishak G, Chew F. MRI of Pediatric Patients: Part 2, Normal Variants and Abnormalities of the Knee. AJR May 2012 198:W456-W465; doi:10.2214/AJR.10.7317
31) Chapman T, Iyer RS, Thapa M, Khanna PC, Chew FS. Pediatric Bone Imaging Part I and II (SAM). AJR Date of Issuance 4/23/2012.
32) Iyer R, (Σ) Thapa M, Khanna P, Chew F. Review: Pediatric Bone Imaging: Imaging Elbow Trauma in Children - A Review of Acute and Chronic Injuries. AJR May 2012 198:1053-1068; doi: 10.2214/AJR.10.7314
33) Swanson J, Thapa M, Iyer R, Otto R, Weinberger E. Optimizing Peer Review: A Year of Experience After Instituting a Real-Time Comment-Enhanced Program at a Children's Hospital. AJR May 2012 198:1121-1125; doi:10.2214/AJR.11.6724
34) Iyer R, Schopp J, Swanson J, Thapa M, Phillips G. Safety Essentials: Acute Reactions to Iodinated Contrast Media. Can Assoc Radiol J. 2012 May 5
35) (In Press) Iyer R, Thapa M. MR Imaging of the pediatric Foot and Ankle. Pediatric Radiology. Accepted February 2012.
36) (In Press) Zacharias C, Alessio A, Otto R, Iyer R, Phillips G, Swanson J, Thapa M. Pediatric Computed Tomography – Strategies to lower radiation dose. AJR. Accepted May 2012.