Management of thyroid nodules: A curriculum in a quiz format based on Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound guidelines.
Note: The updated and peer-reviewed version of this resource is now available for download after registration on the MedEDPORTAL website. The link is below:
1. Radiologists are often inconsistent in their recommendation for fine needle aspiration (FNA) or follow up for thyroid nodules.
2. A curriculum in quiz format illustrating path-proven benign and malignant thyroid nodules is presented to help increase the viewers experience in analyzing thyroid nodules and learn appropriate recommendations.
1. Pre-test – 5 questions.
2. Review Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound (SRU) Guidelines for management of thyroid nodules.
3. Review of ultrasound appearances: Solid, mixed solid-cystic, irregular margins, spongiform nodules, calcifications (microcalcification and coarse), increased internal vascularity, and abnormal neck nodes with an explanation for aspiration or not based on guidelines.
4. Quiz – 20 nodules, both benign and malignant.
5. A cost effective approach.
1. Thyroid nodules are very common, seen in almost 50% of the population. Hence, guidelines are used to decide if a nodule should undergo FNA or not.
2. There is inconsistency in the recommendations for thyroid nodules even with SRU guidelines due to lack of understanding of the recommendations.
3. Our curriculum in a quiz format will help better understand the appropriate SRU recommendations for the different types of thyroid nodules.