- $1000 per year, which may be used for books, ABR fees, required medical licensing fees and non-presenter conference travel expenses; funds carry over to the next academic year if unused
- Additional $1000 per year for presenters at conferences to help with travel and hotel expenses.
- $250 per year to cover parking for Thursday afternoon conferences at the UWMC when the resident is at an off site rotation. Additional money is given to R2s to cover parking for introductory lectures.
- Free resident parking at the Seattle Childrens, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA), and Veteran’s Affairs Hospital
- Tuition and $2000 living/travel expenses for the 4-week American Institute for Radiologic Pathology (AIRP) course
- Dedicated libraries at Harborview and UW with books, journals, DVDs, and CD-Roms to borrow. Residents can also make requests to obtain new materials for the libraries.
- The departments annually holds a welcome reception for residents, summer resident barbeque, holiday party and year-end celebration.
- Run/Walk Group -a monthly running/walking club where residents and faculty participate in scheduled events
- Resident social committee plans several department sponsored events throughout the year. This years trips include trips to Leavenworth and Mt. Rainier.
- Ski Day is held at Crystal Mountain annually and even non skiers are encouraged to come and socialize. The department pays for bus transportation and food throughout the day.
- Residents may choose health insurance provided by Uniform Medical Plan or Group Health. UW covers 80% and the resident pays the other 20% of the cost.
- Dental insurance choices include: Uniform Dental Plan, DentalCare Dental, and Williamette Dental. UW covers 100% of the cost.
- An optional flexible spending account is available.
- Basic and supplemental plans are available for long term disability, life insurance, and accidental death & dismemberment.
- Other optional insurances include: auto, home, long-term care.
- Residents are offered a choice of retirement plans.
- UW will match 100% of your contributions up to 5% of your total income under the UW Retirement Plan (UWRP), with limits based on your age.
- Fund Sponsors include: Fidelity, Vanguard and TIAA-CREF
- Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) allows residents to take a pre-tax deduction for eligible dependent care expenses
- General Medical Education Counseling Service provides confidential counseling for individuals and couples. Concerns addressed include personal and career stress, depression and anxiety, marital discord and relationship issues, and time management.
Vacation and Conference Leave
- 15 days vacation that can be taken as individual days or up to 10 week days in a row.
- 5 days conference leave to attend any medical conference of the residents choice.
- Additional conference time for research presentations/abstracts/publications
- Attendance of the annual HMC ER Radiology review course for R3's
- Attendance of the Annual UW Radiology Review Course for R4's
- 5 days additional conference time during the R4 year to attend a review course for the CORE exam
"Even when it is raining Seattle is a special place" - Photo by Dr. Eric Stern, UW Radiology Chest Faculty