Educational Fund:

  • $1000 per year which may be used for books, ABR fees, required medical licensing fees, and conference travel expenses (if resident is not a conference presenter
      • Funds carry over to the next academic year if unused
  • Additional $1000 per year for conference travel expenses if resident is presenting at a national conference


  • $250 per year for Thursday afternoon categorical conferences at the UWMC- to be used when the resident is at an off site rotation and must travel to conference.  Additional funds are assigned to R2s to cover parking for introductory lectures
  • Free resident parking at the Seattle Childrens, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA), and Veteran’s Affairs Hospital
  • Free shuttles exist between the majority of sites and a discounted community transit pass is offered to residents
Additional Residency Benefits:
  • Tuition and $2000 living/travel expenses for the 4-week American Institute for Radiologic Pathology (AIRP) course
  • Dedicated libraries at Harborview and UW with books, journals, DVDs, and e-materials to borrow.  Residents can also make requests to obtain new materials for the libraries.
  • The department/program holds an annual welcome reception for residents, summer resident barbeque, holiday party, and year-end celebration.
  • Run/Walk Group -a monthly running/walking club where residents and faculty participate in scheduled events
  • Resident Social Committee plans several program sponsored events throughout the year including sporting events, outdoor activities, picnics, and restaurants.
  • Ski Day is held at Crystal Mountain annually and even non skiers are encouraged to come and socialize.

Vacation and Conference Leave:

  • 15 days vacation (3 weeks) that can be taken in weeklong increments or as 15 individual weekdays.
  • 5 days conference leave per year to attend any medical conference of the resident's choice.
  • Additional conference time for research presentations/abstracts/publications
  • Annual HMC ER Radiology Review Course for R4s
  • Annual UW Radiology Review Course for R4s
  • 5 days additional days of conference time during the R4 year to attend a review course for the CORE exam


    Insurance Summary:
    • Residents may choose health insurance provided by Uniform Medical Plan or Group Health.  UW covers 80% and the resident pays the other 20% of the cost
    • Dental insurance choices include: Uniform Dental Plan, DentalCare Dental, and Williamette Dental.  UW covers 100% of the cost
    • An optional flexible spending account is available
    • Basic and supplemental plans are available for long term disability, life insurance, and accidental death & dismemberment
    • Other optional insurances include: auto, home, long-term care
    Retirement Summary:
    • Residents are offered a choice of retirement plans
    • UW will match 100% of your contributions up to 5% of your total income under the UW Retirement Plan (UWRP), with limits based on your age
    • Fund Sponsors include: Fidelity, Vanguard and TIAA-CREF
    Services Summary:
    • Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) allows residents to take a pre-tax deduction for eligible dependent care expenses
    • General Medical Education Counseling Service provides confidential counseling for individuals and couples.  Concerns addressed include personal and career stress, depression and anxiety, marital discord and relationship issues, and time management.


    For the most current information on insurance, retirement, and additional services please visit:


        Photo by Dr. Eric Stern, UW Radiology Chest Faculty

        "Even when it is raining Seattle is a special place" - Photo by Dr. Eric Stern, UW Radiology Chest Faculty