UWSOM - Department of Radiology Mentorship Program
It gives us great pleasure to announce the rollout of our NEW AND IMPROVED Department of Radiology mentorship program. You will now find enrollment and the process to be easier and more user-friendly. This opt-in mentoring program is designed for the benefit of all current and future junior faculty, of all appointment tracks and pathways. This program is designed to facilitate the successful career growth and development of all faculty. Your participation is strongly encouraged. This program complements the department Promotion Committee and annual faculty review (ePAR), but does not replace either function.
The primary mentoring relationship is based on a negotiated agreement between a mentor and a mentee. The program includes suggestions for the types of activities to be engaged, frequency of meetings, and methods for documentation. This mentoring program has specific implementation guidelines and outcome measurements.
In most cases the Section/Division Chiefs will execute the role of Primary Mentor for the members of their section, while a second formal mentorship can certainly be established outside this relationship. The Section Chief's role, in particular, as Primary Mentor, mandates a thorough familiarity with the requirements for, and the ability to sponsor and support faculty through the promotions process. In addition to the mentoring program enrollment process, the mentorship website also includes helpful information for both mentors and mentees, including program goals, FAQs, and a faculty guide to mentoring.
On this website, you will also find other helpful resources such as the department of radiology promotion criteria for our various faculty tracks, as well as an appointment and promotions guide from the school of medicine Dean's office, and other internal and external resources for your career development.
We look forward to working with you to make this new and improved program a continuing success.
Norman J. Beauchamp MD
Eric J. Stern MD
The Mentoring Process in 7 Easy Steps
- Mentee completes the short Mentoring Training Module followed by the online Mentor Assignment Questionnaire to register with the mentorship program.
- Mentoring Committee makes mentor/mentee match and sends a letter of assignment to both.
- After accepting the match, the mentor and mentee meet and complete the Mentoring Agreement and Mentoring Program Goals & Plan. These forms should be kept for your records. Please send a copy of these forms to the Interim Faculty Resource Manager (Attn: Javier Martinez, Box 354807).
- Mentor pairs are stongly encouraged to complete a written Development Plan. A copy of these plans should be kept for your records.
- Mentor and mentee meet regularly to document progress. See sample progress document: document progress.
- Mentor and mentee will be sent a 6-month and 1-year evaluation form electronically.
- At the one year anniversary, the Mentor completes the Achievement Letter (template) and gives the original to the mentee and forwards a copy to the Interim Faculty Resource Manager (Attn: Javier Martinez, Box 354807). This letter will become an EPAR document.
At this time the mentor and mentee may agree to renew mentorship.
Information for Mentors
As a senior faculty member, your participation is very valuable. If you are interested in being a mentor, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, letting us know your interest. Please state your availability and particular interests. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or comments you might have.
Below are links to some forms that you may find useful in your role as a mentor:
Information for Mentees
Program overview and links to forms to be completed by junior faculty.
Department of Radiology:
- Faculty Self Assessment Tool
- Clinical Faculty Promotion Criteria
- Courtesy - Clinical Promotion Criteria
- PhD Regular Promotion Criteria
- Physician Scientist Promotion Criteria
- Research Promotion Criteria
- Clinician-Teacher Promotion Criteria
School of Medicine Dean's Office:
UW Institute of Translational Health Sciences Career Development Seminars link: http://www.iths.org/training/online
UW Research Resources: