Original, evidence-based research is a signature of the UW Breast Imaging group. Our faculty, fellows, residents, and research staff collaborate with each other and with external colleagues to study new imaging technologies, cost-effectiveness in health care, global health issues, and improving access to breast care for underserved populations. Our faculty members are recipients of prestigious scientific awards from RSNA, ARRS, AUR, ACRIN, and the American Cancer Society, among others.
Some breast imaging clinical trials may be appropriate for some of our patients:
- STAR study – This study is investigating whether automated whole breast ultrasound can improve detection of cancer in breast cancer screening when used as a supplement to mammography or as a supplement to digital breast tomosynthesis. http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT02042456
- ACRIN 6702 – This study investigates whether diffusion weighted imaging as an adjunct to dynamic contrast enhanced – magnetic resonance imaging can improve overall accuracy of breast MRI. http://www.acrin.org/PROTOCOLSUMMARYTABLE/PROTOCOL6702.aspx
- ACRIN 6698 (A sub-study of I-SPY 2 TRIAL) - The objective of this study is to determine if diffusion weighted magnetic resonance imaging is effective for measuring breast tumor response to neoadjuvant treatment. This study is a sub-study of I-SPY 2, an investigation of serial breast imaging studies to predict therapeutic response with imaging and molecular analysis. http://www.acrin.org/6698_protocol.aspx
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Breast SPORE , Project 3 – This study is investigating quantitative in vivo imaging as a means of identifying breast cancers resistant to systemic therapy and directing the patient towards more effective therapy. http://www.fredhutch.org/en/labs/science-projects/breast-cancer-program/seattle-cancer-consortium-breast-spore.html
Our faculty is committed to sharing our research through publications in a variety of peer-reviewed academic journals. Here is a selection of key and recent publications from our team:
- Scheel JR, Lee JM, Sprague BL, Lee CI, Lehman CD. Screening Ultrasound as an Adjunct to Mammography in Women with Mammographically Dense Breasts. Review. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Jun 21 [Epub ahead of Print] (PMID:24959654)
- Rahbar H, Hana L, Gatsonis C, Mahoney MC, Schnall MD, DeMartini WB, Lehman CD. Contralateral Prophylactic Mastectomy in the American College of Radiology Imaging Network (ACRIN) 6667 Trial: Impact of Breast MRI Assessments and Patient Characteristics. Radiology. 2014 Jun 16:132029. PMID: 24937691.
- Rahbar H, Partridge SC, DeMartini WB, Gutierrez RL, Allison KH, Peacock S, Lehman CD. In Vivo Assessment of DCIS Grade: A Model Incorporating Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced and Diffusion Weighted Breast MR Imaging Parameters. Radiology 2012 May; 263(2):374-82. PMID: 22517955. Included in “This Month in Radiology.”
- Partridge SC, DeMartini WB, Kurland BF, Eby PR, White SW, Lehman CD. Quantitative Diffusion-Weighted Imaging as an Adjunct to Conventional Breast MRI for Improved Positive Predictive Value. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 2009 Dec;193:1716-1722. PMID: 19933670.
- McDonald ES, Schopp JG, Peacock S, DeMartini WD, Rahbar H, Lehman CD, Partridge SC. Diffusion-Weighted MRI: Association Between Patient Characteristics and Apparent Diffusion Coefficients of Normal Breast Fibroglandular Tissue at 3T. AJR 2014; 202:W496–W502. PMID: 24758685
- Lee CI, Bensink ME, Berry K, Musa Z, Bodnar C, Dann R, Jarvik JG, Lehman CD, Ramsey SD. Performance goals for an adjust diagnostic test to reduce unnecessary biopsies after screening mammography: analysis of costs, benefits, and consequences. J Am Coll Radiol 2013; 10(11):924-930 (PMID: 24295942).
- Lee CI, Lehman CD. Digital breast tomosynthesis and the challenges of implementing an emerging breast cancer screening technology into clinical practice. J Am Coll Radiol 2013; 10(11):913-7(PMID: 24295940).
- Lehman CD, Blume JD, DeMartini WB, Hylton NM, Herman B, Schnall MD. Accuracy and Interpretation Time of Computer Aided Detection Among Novice and Experienced Breast MRI Readers. AJR 2013 Jun;200(6) (PMID:23701102).
- Lehman CD, Lee CI, Loving V, Portillo MS, Peacock S, DeMartini WB. Accuracy and Value of Breast Ultrasound for Primary Imaging Evaluation of Symptomatic Women 30 to 39 Years of Age. AJR 2012 Nov;199(5):1169-77 (PMID:23096195)
- Swan JS, Kong CY, Hur C, Halpern EF, Itauma O, Williams O, Motazedi T, Lee JM. Comparing morbidities of testing with a new index: Screening colonoscopy versus core-needle breast biopsy. Journal of the American College of Radiology; in press, 8/22/14.
- Neill BL*, Gavenonis SC, Motazedi T, Chubiz JC, Halpern EF, Rafferty EA, Lee JM. Auditing a Breast MRI Practice: Performance Measures for Screening and Diagnostic Breast MRI. Journal of the American College of Radiology, 2014; 11: 883-889, e-pub ahead of print 5/1/14.
- Lee CI, Ichikawa L, Rochelle MC, Kerlikowske K, Miglioretti DL, Sprague BL, DeMartini WB, Wernli KJ, Joe BN, Yankaskas BC, Lehman CD. Breast MRI BI_RADS Assessments and Abnormal Interpretation Rates by Clinical Indication in US Community Practices. Acad Radiol. 2014 Aug 7. [Epub ahead of print] (PMID: 25126973).
- Wernli KJ, DeMartini WB, Ichikawa L, Lehman CD, Onega T, Kerlikowske K, Henderson LM, Geller BM, Hofmann M, Yankaskass BC. Patterns of Breast Magnetic Resonance Imaging Use in Community Practice in the Breast Cancer Surveillance Consortium. JAMA Int. Med. 2014 Jan;174(1):125-32 (Epub ahead of print) (PMID:24295940).
- Parsian S, Rahbar H, Allison KH, DeMartini WB, Olson ML, Lehman CD, Partridge SC. Nonmalignant breast lesions: ADCs of benign and high-risk subtypes assessed as false-positive at dynamic enhanced MR imaging. Radiology 2012;265(3):p.696-706 [Epub ahead of print] (PMID: 23033500) (PMC3504319).
- Partridge SC, McDonald ES. Diffusion weighted MRI of the breast: Protocol optimization, guidelines for interpretation, and potential clinical applications. (Invited Review) Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 2013 Aug;21(3):601-24. PMID: 23928248.