Frequently Asked Questions







How many letters of reference do I need and who should write them?

Three (3) Letters of reference are required. One of these reference letters must come from your current program director or your residency program director.

What issues should letters of reference address?

The letters should address your clinical competency and your ability to work within a diverse environment where you will be working with technologists, staff personnel, residents, co-fellows, and attending radiologists.

If you are an FMG, please have the letter from your program director/residency director attest to the following:

  • Number of months of exposure each to U/S, CT, MR, and Procedures,
  • The types of studies in which you have experience in each modality
  • Where the medical school ranks in your home country (for example, does the school rank in the top 10%? 5%? etc.)
  • NOTE: In the US, letters of reference are sent directly from the writer to the Program Director. It is common for an applicant to be required to formally waive any legal right to see his/her letters of reference. For this reason, we do not rely on letters of reference submitted directly to us by an applicant.


To whom should letters of reference be addressed?

Letters of reference should be addressed to:

Body Imaging Fellowship Program Director

University of Washington Radiology Department

1959 NE Pacific St, Box 357115

Seattle, WA 98195-7115

When will I be asked to interview?

Fellowship interviews are conducted year-round. You will be contacted if we wish to set up a time for an interview.

How long is the interview and how many people will I see?

The Fellowship interview day consists of interview with four to six of our faculty members and fellows and possibly attend a conference or lecture. This fellowship covers rotations at several medical centers, and there is a possibility that you will be interviewing at these other facilities in the area. Expect to spend a full working day in interviews, starting at 8:00 a.m.


Getting to UW



Does the University of Washington pay for my travel expenses?

Unfortunately, the University of Washington is unable to pay for your travel expenses for your interview.

Should I rent a car?

We recommend that you take the shuttle service or a taxi from the airport to your hotel. Several hotels in the University District also have shuttle service to the University. Parking can be extremely difficult, and expensive, in Seattle.  A free UW Medical Centers shuttle stops at our Roosevelt Clinic, across the street from the Watertown Hotel.


If I choose to rent a car, how do I get to UW, and where should I park?

The following directions are from Sea-Tac Airport:

Take I-5 North for approximately 20 miles and take the 520 exit (north of downtown Seattle). Take the Montlake exit from 520. This is the first exit. Please make sure you are in the right lane as you enter onto 520. Turn left onto Montlake Blvd. Cross the Montlake Bridge (make sure you are in the far right hand lane. Look for signs for the E12 parking lot on your right. Make sure you park by the stadium in E12.

DO NOT PARK IN TRIANGLE UNDERGROUND PARKING GARAGE. This is reserved for patients and their visitors and we cannot validate your ticket.


Where should I stay?

There are several hotels that are conveniently located:



Benefits and General Questions



How many days of vacation do I get as a fellow?

Body Imaging fellows receive 20 days of leave, 15 for vacation and 5 for conferences. Only weekdays are counted in this total. In other words, if you take vacation from a Saturday through the following Sunday, you will only have taken 5 days of vacation (M-F). In addition, fellows receive 10 established holidays.


What type of benefits do I get as a fellow?

As a fellow you will receive medical and dental benefits. For more in-depth information please see the following links:


How much will I be paid?

The salary is approximately $60,000 per annum. However, this is subject to change and usually is re-evaluated annually. Fellows are also eligible to participate in University group health and dental insurance, and in a university-matched retirement plan. See information on benefits above.


Do you have any information about Seattle?



About the Fellowships

For details on individual programs, please visit the individual pages of the Body Imaging, Cardiac Imaging, and Oncologic Imaging Fellowships.



How does call work?

Call is negotiated between the current fellows and is dependent partially on how many fellows we have during that academic year. Call is typically taken in one-week blocks.



Foreign Applicants



What type of visa is required for the Fellowship?

The University of Washington's Body Imaging Fellowships offer a J1 visa for all foreign physicians. However, the visa type for non-ACGME fellowships may be negotiable if you meet specific qualifications. The University of Washington would be the sponsoring institution, and the visa offered is their decision.


Will I need to return to my home country after my fellowship is completed?

The J1 visa is an educational visa and may carry with it a "return to home country" requirement.  For further information on visas, please visit the State Department web page on Visa Services


Does my board certification from my home country qualify?

In order to be eligible for this position, foreign applicants must pass Steps I, II and III of the USMLE, and have ECFMG certification.

If you have completed your residency at the time of application, you must be board certified in the US or the country in which you did your residency, or have been awarded the FRCR or the eDir.

Effective November 22, 2011, the Body Imaging Section no longer sponsors fellows for the four-year plan leading to eligibility to take the ABR exam, but we continue to welcome applications from foreign medical graduates for our single-year fellowships.

What are the requirements for my residency program?

Your residency program must be accredited in its country and a minimum of three years in length. With a few exceptions, we accept candidates only from residency programs in the United States and Canada, The British Commonwealth, and the European Union.